Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My first endeavor

I never took Home Ec. in high school, I learned to sew from my mother.  She never taught me a ton of stuff, but I knew the basics, and I love to read, so if I don't know...I look it up.   Along w/ the doll my daughter wanted for her birthday, she asked for a Pom Pom outfit that matches the one that she competes in.  Well obviously I couldn't find one that was already made that matches so that meant I had to make one.  So I set off looking for a pattern.  I finally found one that was CLOSE but not quite what hers looked like, so I had to modify the pattern.  The one I found was the Emily Rose Sunshine Cheerleader pattern.  It's pretty close. 


I know it doesn't look like it, but her uniform is purple.  So I worked at it, and I tried to come up w/ the right pattern.  I figured it was a bit over my head, so I asked my Aunt to give it a whirl.  She graciously did, and hers was good, but not good enough in my mind, I wanted it to be EXACT.  So I decided to do it myself.   I'd never done pleats in my life, and it took me a while to figure out how to get the shirt to say "Dazzlers" w/o the use of embroidery, but I got it.  The hardest part was the pleats, the neckline, and the Poms.  I ordered white tennis shoes and socks from The Dollclothes Store.com so they would look like my daughter's.  I even made the matching hair bow like her team wears for competition.  I never thought I could make something like this, but it was a great challenge and I had fun doing it.  Learned  a LOT and it turned out great and my daughter loved it. Here's the finished project:

That was my first foray into dolly couture...and it continues...another day another pattern.
So much more to come, I'm just getting started stay tuned :D

No comments:

Post a Comment